Thursday 3 November 2011

Clever guess on the part of a Christian woman

Assalamu Alaikum,
I am a Christian who is very interested in Islam and I am currently reading a translation of the Koran in my language. I know that women should not touch the Koran while having their menses but since translations are not regarded as the word of God and therefore not equal to the Arabic text, I'd like to know if not touching the Koran during menses also applies to translations.
Thank you very much for your help.

Praise be to Allaah.
You have hit the nail on the head: your guess is correct. A translation is not like the Mus-haf (Arabic text of the Qur’aan) and the same rules do not apply. A translation is like a tafseer (commentary), and so a menstruating woman is allowed to touch it. Your analysis of this matter demonstrates astute reasoning and excellent thinking skills, which makes us feel that you will soon embrace Islam; may Allaah guide you to all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment